In Deus Ex; the gamer plays the role of J.C. Denton; a rookie anti-terrorist agent with UNATCO — the UN Anti-Terrorist Coalition. J.C.; a nano-technologically augmented operative with remarkable abilities; has been ordered to investigate the terrorist activity in and around New York concerning a plague called the Gray Death. The elusive plague has no known cure and the only temporary treatment is Ambrosia; which is in drastically short supply. J.C. must make sure that the terrorists do not divert supplies of Ambrosia from the people who truly need it. But as J.C. encounters the terrorists; he begins to notice certain discrepancies; and eventually questions the nature of his orders. Ultimately; J.C. ends up distrusting UNATCO and is caught in the middle of mind-bending plot as various groups vie for control of the world. In discovering the facts; J.C. learns that in this world you can trust no one; as your enemies; and even your allies may be more than they appear.
- Real role-playing from an immersive 3D first-person perspective. The game includes action character interaction and problem solving.
- Realistic recognizable locations. Many of the locations are built from actual blueprints of real places set in a near future scenario.
- A game filled with people rather than monsters. This creates empathy with the game characters and enhances the realism of the game world.
- Rich character development systems: Skills augmentations weapon and item selections and multiple solutions to problems ensure that no two players will end the game with similar characters.
- Multiple solutions to problems and character development choices ensure a varied game experience. Talk fight or use skills to get past obstacles as the game adapts itself to your style of play.
- Strong storyline: Built on ‘real’ conspiracy theories current events and expected advancements in technology. If it’s in the game someone somewhere believes it.